Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pieced Animal Baby Blanket




I had just found out I was pregnant and my mother in law wanted an idea for something to give me for my birthday.  I really wanted to make a baby quilt.  So she gave me a gift certificate to my favorite fabric store.  I was so excited and I just couldn't wait to find out what I was having before making the quilt.  So I decided to make two.  One for a girl and one for a boy.  (I'll post pictures of my daughters quilt next week!) 
This is my favorite one!  I loved the farm animals.  I don't follow the regular quilters rules.  I kinda fly by the seat of my pants.  I don't follow patterns.  I find a picture or idea of what I like, take the idea and make it my own. 
For quilting I do make a grid on paper and figure out the sizes of squares and different colors and patterns for materials.  (I really wanted to use and red and blue.)  Then I decided what colors I wanted the animals.  I drew a mini of each and animal and colored it so I had a good idea the colors I wanted and that they all went went well together.  (I found 3 different quilts with animals on them.  I then copied the look of the animals I liked)  I drew out the animals and cut out each piece for my pattern.  I iron them on where I want them  and then dig zag over them to make sure the seams are secure. (Someone suggested I use buttons for the eyes.  I used buttons on the wall hanging but not on the quilt.  I didn't want the baby to get snaged or be ripping them off on the quilt.)

After my daughter I put this in a closet hoping we would one day have a little boy to call this his own.  My daughter was only 4 months old when we found out we were expecting our little cowboy!  I was SHOCKED we were having another one so soon!  But when we found out it was a boy I was so excited!  I pulled out the quilt.  I then also creating wall hangings (WHICH I'LL POST NEXT) to match the quilt and tie it all together. 

Our sweet baby boy was born and left my arms on August 1, 2011.  Our little cowboy is missed everyday!  But how very lucky we are to have him in our family! 

Someday I hope to have another little cowboy!  When we are blessed that day, I will once again pull out this quilt!  

5 comments:

  1. I love your quilt and maybe some day I will find a pattern to make one like it. Your story broke my heart for you and your family. May you be blessed with another cowboy in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you sale pattern of animal quilt, Iwill be very interested

    ReplyDelete